Skip to main content

Book of Me, Written by You, Prompt 44: Hairstyles

The Book of Me, Written by You is a blogging theme where one can write about their own life using blog themes posted each week.  More information can be found at Anglers Rest here.

This week's prompt is - Hairstyles

  • Go on share your hairstyles over the years!
  • Do you have regular hairdresser habits?
  • Colour?
  • Do you dye it? (your secret is safe with us!)

I’ve never been a big fan of hair and hairstyles. I can count the number of times I have been to a real beauty shop on one hand: (1) for my 8th grade graduation, (2) trying out a styled cut by a stylist, and (3) to get a permanent (which I would never do again!).  In-between I have been to hair cutting shops to have my hair cut.

As a young child my mother curled my hair. I even remember a horrible time when my grandmother gave me a permanent. Sitting still all that time was so hard when you were young but you didn’t sass Mam-ma. I was pretty scared of her then!

Top: 1st grade, 2nd grade, 4th grade
Bottom: 6th grade, 8th grade, Senior
The first photo of me was in first grade and shows long hair that had been curled the night before mostly likely for the photo. My second grade photo shows a pretty ragged haircut. I wonder if I had given myself a haircut. Mostly, l have liked my hair short. But given the costs to have a nicely styled cut, my mother opted for us to have long hair.


By the time I was out of college, I had long hair again which I basically wore in a ponytail.  So right before I got married, I cut my hair short and have had it that way since. Short hair is much easier to deal with and is not so hot in the summer.

The biggest problem with short hair for me is I have a huge cowlick in front and could never have bangs. So my first haircut as an adult, I parted my hair down the middle just as I had when my hair was long. So I ended up with bangs that spread outward, which a co-worker called “wings.”  Later I decided to have a part on the side and I have only one big “wing.”
Left: right after our marriage with my "wings"
Right: my current do about 15 yrs later
I have never colored my hair and now have gray “highlights” all through it. My dad and grandmother both had beautiful gray and silver hair so I can hope someday to have the same. Natural, just the way I am!

Copyright © 2014 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past

Comments