Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Fifth Grade Memories

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing has another great assignment.

Here is our assignment:

1) Remember when you were 10 or 11 years old and in fifth grade at school? Was that one of the best times in your life? Or not?

2) Tell us about your fifth grade memories and the highlights of that time of your life - in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, or on Facebook or Google+.


I attended Parkmead Elementary in Walnut Creek, California for fifth grade. Mrs. Griffin was our teacher and she was the hardest teacher I ever had. She hated our handwriting and made us re-learn cursive all over with all of the exercises. She was also one of those teachers who seemed to have eyes in the back of her head. I think we wore her out because she retired after our school year!

But the best part of 5th grade was joining Junior Girl Scouts. I was part of Troop 374.[1] We met once a week in the Kindergarten room and our leaders, Mrs. Bailey & Mrs. Hanson, were teachers, I think (though not from our school). Our troop consisted of 4th through 6th grade girls. That was the norm back then to have multi-grade troops, unlike today with single grade troops. We also wore our uniforms to school, too. I was pretty shy and never got to be a patrol leader but I had fun earning badges.
Here is my sash. The troop number shown
here was from the Cadette days.
One of the fun things we did that year was learn folk dancing.[2] We then had costumes made and attended a folk festival where we danced. It was a lot of fun!

Here is the folk dance costume my mother made.
I enjoyed Girl Scouts so much that I was a leader for my daughters' troops, a staff member at Girl Scout Camp, and later a trainer to adult Girl Scout leaders.

[1] I couldn't remember the troop number or leader names but found an article about the troop, though it was the previous year: "Girl Scout Investiture is Held," Contra Costa Times, 4 Dec 1963, col. 1, p. 3.
[2] Though it is possible the folk dancing was during 6th grade. There was no date on this photo.

Copyright © 2015 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments