Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - What Were You Doing in 1985?


1) Since this was Back to the Future week, I have a related challenge: Do you recall what you were doing in 1985? Family, school, work, hobbies, technology, genealogy, vacations, etc?

2) Tell us in a blog post of your own, in a comment on this blog, or in a Facebook or Google+ post.

What was I doing in 1985?

  • I'd been married for just 5 years and we were living in our current home in Martinez. No kids yet.
  • I was working for Bay Area Rapid Transit System (BART) as a train operator, probably working on the Concord to Daly City line. Somewhere in storage I have my run notebooks and could probably figure out what shift I was working.  It was probably something like 1130-1930 with Tuesday and Wednesdays off because I had lousy seniority, since I had only been there 7 years.
  • My hobbies at the time did not include genealogy. I was a member of the Walnut Creek Model Railroad Society. I might have been Secretary, but I can't remember when I was first elected. The club meeting days were Tuesday and Friday with our Open House on the last Friday of the month. We also had big shows on the weekends around Thanksgiving. I also attended region model railroad conventions which are just like our genealogy conferences. There were classes, tours, contests, and a banquet.
  • I was also using a computer at home by then, too. My first computer was a CPM based computer that I put together with a help of a friend and I used WordStar as the word processor. I loved writing stories and the word processor was a big help. The printer was a daisy wheel that cost $2500.

I can't remember what else I was doing. I would need to do some digging, such as checking dates on the slides I have stored to see if I went on a trip. But I know it's important to try to chronicle our own lives as well as our ancestors'.


Copyright © 2015 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments