Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing started this meme and I loved the idea. Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week.

Instead of writing about each day this week, I’ll take it by subject:

Genealogy  
I worked mostly this week at the computer on my KDP (Kinship Determination Project). I have made a lot of progress, writing probably about two-thirds of it now. Wednesday I drove up to Sacramento to my husband’s cousin to take photos of Lundquist paperwork she has stored. I took 153 images of miscellaneous documents (deeds, checks, certificates, photos, etc). There are quite a few things that can be used for both Per Alfred and David’s stories.

I completed the MGD (Mastering Genealogical Document) homework for Chapter 11 but when we tried to have the Hangout on Wednesday, Myrt couldn’t get the Hangout to start recording. So we’ll do this chapter next week.

I am also part of a National Genealogical Society Quarterly study group. We read an article from the Q and discuss it once a month. We had a great discussion this week on a very complicated story. Reading these case studies gives us great ideas on records to use and how to craft the argument.


Physical Activity
Sunday I got in some gardening by cleaning up the flower pots and raking oleander leaves. It’s all ready for the rainy season. I got in a day of Pickleball on Monday. I hiked Tuesday at the Martinez Marina where it was cool and windy. I saw a pair of white-tailed kites in an eucalyptus tree, lots of coots and mallards on the pond, and both greater and lesser egrets. 

Friday, I took a walk with a California Native Plant Society member at Pt Pinole where we viewed some shore birds and looked at saltwater marsh plant species. It was a gorgeous day with wonderful views of San Francisco Bay.


Thanksgiving
We had a quiet evening just the two of us, eating pork rib roast and baked potato. Saturday, we spent the day with Norman’s brother and had a traditional turkey dinner. It was nice visiting with Brian, Linda, Maddy, Lucas, and Kenny.


Christmas Shopping
I did a little shopping online this week before Thanksgiving and met my friend, Beth, at the Giants’ Dugout Store in Walnut Creek where we picked out five games to the upcoming Giants’ season. We’ll go to three Reds games, and one each of Arizona and Colorado.

Though it seemed like a short week, I got a lot of stuff done and that felt great!



Copyright © 2017 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. An interesting way, Lisa, of describing your week by activity rather than by day. I could be tempted by that approach. Thank you for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever way works for you. The point is to not forget about our own story.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Lisa.
    First, thank you for accepting my friend request on FB! I did it, inadvertently, but this is proof that all things happen for a reason!
    I’m so glad I decided click on your blog post (while perusing your wall to see just who I’d become friends with lol). I had not heard of this meme - “Genea-pourri”, but it is such an excellent idea! I used to get all of Randy Seavers’ post, but this brings to my attention that I don’t see them anymore, and haven’t in a while. Hmmm.... I’ll have to check on that.
    Anyway, I truly enjoyed reading about your week. What a wonderful way for me to get to know you a bit. :) I am definitely going to start utilizing this writing meme over on my blog, “Into the LIGHT” (http://www.justthinking130@blogspot.com). Come on by for a visit, and please consider subscribing, as Im about to do to yours. :)

    It’s nice to “meet” you!
    Best!
    Renate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Renate. I accepted your friend request because I enjoyed watching the Black Pro Gen broadcasts--I learn so much from all of you. I look forward to reading more of your blog as well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.