Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing started this meme and I loved the idea. Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week.

Genealogy
The big news this week was finishing up on the last story of the KDP. I still have a few holes to fill on the second and third stories. The probate records from Merced County, California and the land record from Montgomery County, Iowa, should come in this week and that will be extremely helpful. I’ll need to do some editing and proof-reading both the text and footnotes. It feels good to be nearly 90% done with this part.

The online session with the Mastering Genealogical Documentation hangout went very well. We were talking about Chapter 13, citing original online content. I focused on recording negative searches done online. If you’re interested in the recording, check out DearMyrtle’s YouTube channel.

I worked at the desk at the California Genealogical Society’s library in Oakland on Friday. I only had one customer and two volunteers come in. I was able to get a bit of work done on my KDP. Riding BART in and back, I read Precious and Grace by Alexander McCall Smith. I wished I commuted somewhere everyday so I had time to read good books.

More Christmas Season Activities
Both German classes had Christmas parties this week. We watched some German TV at Nancy’s house on Monday. 

Wednesday, Bud invited the German Conversation class to his house, where we brought potluck and he had tables decorated and laid out. After lunch, we sang German Christmas songs while he played the piano and then we sang English ones while he lit the candles on his tree.




The joint Contra Costa County Genealogical Society and the Concord Family History Center Christmas party was on Thursday. I brought a cabbage slaw salad. There were some wonderful treats and we sang Christmas songs—a favorite was the 12 Days of Christmas.

The volunteer staff of the Contra Costa County Historical Society was treated to a Christmas lunch on Thursday. Pizza, salad, and cookies were on the menu.

Went to hear the Lowell Trio play at Armandos with Elaine and Diane. Janet Popesco Archibald played oboe & English Horn. Emil Miland played the cello, and Margaret Fondbertasse played the piano. The trio played wonderfully and my favorite was Hallelujah, especially the cello parts. I really love the cello. Elaine’s favorite is the English horn.



Birding
I got in some birding on Saturday. I arrived early to Heather Farm Park before the sun came up. It was quiet on the ponds. I saw the ring-necked ducks, buffleheads, grebes, coots, and Canada geese on the pond. As I walked around I found a great blue heron staring into the concrete pond. After a few shots with the camera, I continued walking. When I turned back to see if the bird was still there, I was surprised to find the bird had a fish in its beak. Another wonderful find was the black-crowned night-heron and the red-shouldered hawk.


At home the feeders are attracting lesser finches, house finches, and woodpeckers.

Family
Saturday, we celebrated my sister, Renee’s birthday. Sabrina hosted and grilled salmon, roasted Brussel sprouts, and salad was on the menu. After gifts were opened, we sang some Christmas songs while I played the ukulele. Then we exchanged sister gifts. Danna gave us an oyster where we pulled out the pearl and placed into a special holder on a chain. I also got some dark chocolate, a nature calendar, and bird plasters (English bandages). It was fun being with my sisters, niece, and daughter.





Ah, what a wonderful week!

Copyright © 2017 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments