Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Genealogy Database Problem Report


Randy Seaver’s mission this week is to:

1)  Is your genealogy software family tree database perfect?  With no errors or inconsistencies?  Yep, mine isn't either!  Big time.  With over 49,000 persons there are bound to be some errors in my tree.  Even 1% would be 490 persons or 1,500 events!

2)  This week, find your genealogy software's "Problem Report" or something similar.  Tell us how you found it, and what it tells you about the problems in your family tree database.

3)  Share your results with us in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a Facebook post.

I also have RootsMagic as my genealogy program and followed the same directions that Randy gave. I used the following criteria to find the errors:
Criteria I used for the error report
And my report came back with 21 errors. I have 7091 people in my database with 16,627 events. Twenty-one errors about of sixteen thousand or so events comes out to 0.126%, which is a pretty small percentage. I pat myself on the back for being pretty diligent.

Error Report
However, some of these errors can be quickly fixed. Ashley Brook Floyd was born before her parents. I must have entered her birthdate wrong. (I did. I was off by a century!). It was the same with Ramond Miller: birthdate off by a century. Augusta Fiday was not 8 years old, but rather 18 years old when she married. I had calculated the marriage based on married 13 years on the 1900 census. Bad math brought up the marriage date at 1877 instead of 1887.

Some of the events are correct, such as Stanley Stewart marrying when 73, and Mary Hester’s father being 73 years old when she was born.

Now to fix those that need corrections!

Copyright © 2017 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments