Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of December 26-31, 2017

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing started this meme and I loved the idea. Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week.

Genealogy
I got mentioned in two blogs on the same day! Judy G. Russell thanked me for taking her bird watching and a drive up to the top of Mt. Diablo last September.  Gena Philibert-Ortega mentioned my suggestion in her blog post on the GenealogyBank blog post. She wrote about New Year’s resolutions and I had suggested “Create something to share with your family to ensure your research lasts to the next generation.”

I was behind in my client’s work and got out his research report to him on Thursday. He is liking the stories that I find and authorized the continuation. One of his line of ancestors were from Massachusetts. This is a new area for me. For the next round, I’m returning to another line that were still in California and work on them awhile, while I read up on New England (specifically Mass. and RI.) research. Might be good reading on the train trip in February.

Work was done on the Case Study for the BCG certification portfolio. I thought I was further along. It might not be such a challenging case after all. We’ll see as I get it written up. DNA will make it stronger, for sure. I’m also thinking I’m not going to finish this in time for the deadline in March. I’ll probably need to extend. I’ve discovered some records I need, that I must reach out to the original repositories to get them. I might even need to hire a title researcher to get the land records I need.

Nature Activity
The Nutall’s woodpecker is enjoying the suet this week and sometimes the chestnut-backed chickadee comes, too. The other feeders are full of lesser goldfinches and house finches, and the ground full of towhees and white-crowned sparrows.
Lesser Goldfinches
Nutall's Woodpecker
Active Activity
Only one day of pickleball and one day of yoga. I’ve developed a cold and was moving a bit slower, with much less energy to make the Friday pickleball. Got in a few walks. It is so different walking without our dog, Sidney. He certainly kept us moving a lot faster. (He had certain trees, bushes, poles, etc. that he had to sniff or pee on.)

Family
We had a late Christmas celebration with my daughter and her boyfriend up in Sebastopol on New Year’s eve day. Brunch at her restaurant was delicious. It was quiet there, so we were able to stay longer and visit. After lunch, we walked around until Elizabeth had to get ready for work. Norman’s brother, Brian, was supposed to come, too, but there was some illness in their family. We’ll reschedule for another day. We left before it was dark and I took this shot looking west across Mare Island at sunset.

Had a nice breakfast with Beth, my long-time friend from school days. We usually meet for breakfast between Christmas and New Years to exchange simple gifts. We also attend a half dozen or so San Francisco Giants games during the season and have traveled together to GRIP a couple of times in the past (where we traveled by car afterwards seeing whatever sights fancy us. Need to do that again soon).

Finally, my aunt, June, died this week on 28 December. She was born in 11 June 1926. She was my father’s sister, just four years older. She was also my godmother. She reminded me most of her mother, my Nana. She was loving, friendly, giving, and a devout Catholic. She helped me most with my genealogy journey of her family and was always interested in what I found. She will be greatly missed. Love you, Aunt June. Rest in peace. You can read her obituary here


My aunts, June and Virginia, and me
Sending 2017 into 2018
This past year has been very memorable. I met many people in person, that I have been friends with on Facebook, when I attended the Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy in January, the Southern California Jamboree in Burbank, California in June, the International German Genealogy Conference in Minneapolis in July, and the APG Professional Management Conference in Washington, D.C. I spent ten days driving around three states (MN, SD, & IA) conducting genealogy research for the Gleeson, Sullivan, and Lundquist families. Thank you, Yvonne, for keeping me company. I taught several classes for local genealogy societies and presented at several genealogy societies. I participated in two DearMyrtle Hangouts as a panelist.

My husband and I traveled through 21 states on our trip to Seattle, Chicago, New Orleans, and San Antonio last spring. We visited cousins in Conway & Hot Springs, Arkansas, in Mission, Texas, and Joliet, Illinois.  We also traveled by plane in February to New York City to visit our daughter, Margaret, and then on to Guatemala for a tour with Norman’s brother. Finally in the fall, we traveled in 9 more states on a train trip between Washington, D.C. to Boston, through a stop in NYC.

Goals for 2018: travel to Florida; finish my certification portfolio; organize and scan Nilsen & Lundquist files to add to the papers going to the California State Archives; improve both my pickleball game and my bird identifying skills.

Copyright © 2017 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments