Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of January 22-28, 2018

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing started this meme and I loved the idea. Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week.

Genealogy

1. Genealogy Courses

This week I atteded Rick Sayre’s Advanced Land Tools: Maps class at SLIG (Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy). We had five full days of classes and a banquet on Friday night. I learned so much about how to accessed maps online and offline, how to overlay old maps onto Google Earth, and how to plot land both on paper and in a program called DeedMapper. Check out my blog posts about my SLIG experience.


 
 The week wasn’t just about class. I made some new friends, visited with old friends, read through several of the BCG certification portfolios, and purchased some new genealogy books. I got in some exercise each day walking back to the hotel from the library each afternoon.
Some of the CGS members present at SLIG

My partners in the archives class. Jane was my roommate.
Elissa Powell and me

Tina and me
Laura Lee and me
 
Dennis, me, Faye, Alex & Jeri (Jim looking on)

2. Blogs
I posted several blog posts about the Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy using the hashtag #SLIGExperience. Each of the posts were entered in a contest.

I also posted this week’s post for 52 Ancestors. The theme this week was who we’d invite to dinner. Check it out here.

Travel
Returned home on Saturday aboard Southwest. Our trip was pretty quick and we arrived almost thirty minutes before the scheduled arrival. 



After being picked up, we stopped by to visit with my friend's granddaughter and seeing her new baby.

Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments