Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of February 13-18, 2018

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing started this meme and I loved the idea. Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week.

Genealogy
I have written the blog post for 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks, this week about events on Valentine’s Day. I also did a Saturday Night Genealogy Fun post about female ancestors pretty hair.

No work was done on my portfolio. I'm on vacation!

I worked more on the handouts and lesson plans for the upcoming Intermediate classes that I’m teaching in March for the CCCGS and Concord FHC, and in May for CGS at the Oakland FHC. I still need to do some work on the Immigration class.

Travel
Monday we traveled from Orlando to Ocala to visit Norman’s cousin, Shirley. On the way there, we traveled along highway 441, making two stops to do some bird watching. The first stop was at Hidden Waters Preserve in Eustis, where we hiked to a sink hole. There we found a tortoise before he dug himself a hole to hide. Watched several yellow-rumped warblers and common mergansers.


The second stop was at Bourlay Historic Nature Park near Leesburg. It was a nice walk in among the trees and along the lake.


We spent four nice days with the cousins, visiting lots of interesting places. They were kind enough to take me places where I might see birds. We also checked out for alligators, but saw none. We did see some bald eagles, though. We also had great conversations, as cousins should. 


Silver Springs State Park


Black Skimmers on the Gulf Coast

White Ibis in Ocala

Friday, we returned to Orlando to catch the Silver Star to Washington, D.C. and then caught the Crescent from D.C. to New Orleans, which we arrived in on Sunday evening. We saw more of North Carolina and Virginia while going north and more of Georgia and Alabama coming south. 

What a wonderful week!

Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments