Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of February 5-11, 2018

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing started this meme and I loved the idea. Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week.

Genealogy
I have written the blog post for 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks, this week my favorite names and making lists of names.

I also did a Saturday Night Genealogy Fun post about my grandfather’s beard.

No work was done on my portfolio.

I am still working on the handouts and lesson plans for the upcoming Intermediate classes that I’m teaching in March for the CCCGS and Concord FHC, and in May for CGS at the Oakland FHC. I also worked on the publicity write-up for the CGS class so it can be put on Eventbrite.

We had an ICCP Conference Presenter’s Team conference call about the upcoming Call for Presentations that will roll out at the beginning of March. We have nearly everything all set. The conference will be in Sacramento in June 2019. I understand now why it is hard to break into the conferences as a speaker. There are just so many slots available and often many of them are already slotted.

Travel
We arrived in New York Sunday night aboard the Cardinal. We woke up on the train about Kentucky and continued traveling along the Ohio River, into West Virginia, Virginia, before turning north through Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, then New York City. It snowed a little too much to see the beautiful scenery.

Monday through Wednesday was spent with our daughter in New York City. We visited the Empire State Building, Macys, Lord and Taylor on Monday, and visited the Transit Museum and rode the Long Island Railroad on Tuesday. Ate at a variety of restaurants including Kat’s Diner, Tick Tock, P J Clarks, and Insa.


Wednesday, we left on the Silver Meteor for Orlando, Florida. I like these sleeping cars as the top bunk has much more head room, with plenty of room to sit up and change your clothes, along with extra storage space. Our car attendant was Vivian and she was really sweet and cheerful. The train had a new dining car with a brand new kitchen set-up. The food was pretty good. The trip down was a little slow and we arrived late in Orlando. 

Florida is wonderfully warm and we spent two days at two different Disney parks: Magic Kingdom and Epcot Center on Friday and Saturday.



Sunday was a quiet day in Orlando. It was a lot warmer than expected and a shopping to trip to Target for some T-shirts and shorts was in order. Wish I had brought my sandals.

Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments