Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of March 12-18, 2018

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing started this meme and I loved the idea. Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week.

Genealogy
Intermediate Class. I presented the second class on Naturalization and Immigration. This is a great group of students. They stay very focused and all of them attempted last week’s homework. I still need to add some kind of exercise for this class before I teach it again in May.




History Center. Tuesday, I got started on the gentleman who queried the historical society about men who owned land in east county in the swamp and overflow lands. Lots of land and tax records about them. Wednesday, I attended the monthly board meeting. On Saturday, I worked again for four hours, working primarily on the finding aid. It was good having some un-interrupted time to work on it.

Presentation. I presented about German Genealogy at the Mt. Diablo Genealogical Society on Friday. They had a full house—over sixty people. The presentation went fine, except I somehow opened the wrong PowerPoint file and slides I expected weren’t there and slides I had deleted were! But I just passed through them quickly and went on. Lots of people came up for questions afterwards and others asked questions during lunch. I enjoy having lunch afterwards.



Client Work: Got started this week on my long-term client work, working primarily on San Francisco records. I also helped a friend by looking over some research she’s working on for a lineage society. It’s so hard when you think you know the linkage between generations but have no real proof, just some genealogy written years ago. It will probably take using indirect evidence and writing a proof argument. First the evidence has to be collected by following the siblings and FAN club. At least she has a plan of action now.

Blog Posts
My blog work for the week was only 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: https://mytrailsintothepast.blogspot.com/2018/03/52-ancestors-in-52-weeks-week-11-lucky.html.

Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments