Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of July 9-15, 2018

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Attended Gena Philibert-Ortega’s presentation at the Sacramento Public Library on Sunday about how to use Internet Archive. I have used the site before but picked up a few tips from her today such as getting a library card so I can “check out” books that are not freely downloadable.

Made more progress on my certification portfolio. I returned to the KDP to correct my numbering after reading Warren Bittner’s article in the latest NGS Quarterly, where he showed the numbering system for foreign-born ancestors. We discussed it some during our certification peer group meeting. Examples could be found in the old BCG Standards book. We all got into the classes we wanted for 2019 SLIG.

Flew to San Diego to attend the Team Leader meeting for the International German Genealogy Conference (IGGC) that the Sacramento German Genealogical Society and the German Interest Group of the San Diego Genealogical Society are putting on next June. We made some great progress.

Attended the Monday Morning group where we all shared some genealogy finds. I shared the new book, Researching Like a Pro.

Blog Writing: Blog post I wrote this week:
  • My 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks was about my traveling aunt, Lorene Hork Waldron on her half-way around the world trip with three friends.

Other
Outdoors activities included conducting the phenology project at Strentzel Meadow, where we saw two California Quail in the walnut tree. I brought the camera with a telephoto lens and got some shots of the birds.

For sports this week, I woke early to watch most of the matches of the Wimbledon games. Enjoyed both the women’s final and the men’s semi- and final matches. Got to see a little of the final World Cup. Also watched two Giants-A's games on television.

California Quail female

Shield bug eggs and nymphs on a Snowberry plant


Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Lisa,
    Did not know you were applying for certification. Congratulations! I have no doubt you will sail through the process. Am thinking of doing it myself next year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.