Skip to main content

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks – Week 41: Sports


I am working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow. I will write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or at My Trails Into the Past. I’m looking forward to writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.

I thought I’d write about my immediate family who were active with sports.

I played softball in high school with the recreation department. In college at Cal State University Hayward, I played softball in Freshman year and badminton in my junior or senior year (can’t remember which). My schedule was too hectic with science labs to play much sports in college.



My dad (William J Hork) played football in high school in Napa, California, and could through the ball with either hand. He watched it actively until he died. He like to keep statistics of all the teams.


Both my grandmother’s played sports. Nana (Anna Sullivan Hork) played basketball, tennis, and volleyball in college (Montana Normal College).



Mam-ma (Pansy Lancaster Johnston) played softball with a women’s team in Erath County, Texas. Later after my grandfather died, she played tennis and was bowling into her 90s.


My grandfather (William C Hork) played baseball as a young man.
Anaconda Standard, 8 Aug 1920, p. 14
 Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments