Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of October 8-14, 2018

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Family Research. Since I turned in my certification portfolio, I have felt a little off course. I’m not sure what I  should focus my attention on next. Perhaps I’ll look at my southern families in preparation for the SLIG class in January on Advanced Southern Research. I do have small projects that I had started:
  • my Aunt Lorene’s civil service records need to be organized
  • finish reading the book about the 4th Engineers in WWI to learn about what my Great-uncle Jack did
  • scan some paper items
  • file some paper items
  • process many folders of images from previous research at the Family History Library

Looks like I have found plenty to do!

Blog Writing: Blog posts I wrote this week:
This week’s 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks was about “Sports.” I wrote about sporting activities of my father, William Hork, my grandmothers, Pansy Lancaster & Anna Sullivan, and my grandfather, Cyril Hork.

I participated in Randy Seaver’s Saturday Night Genealogy Fun. He used one of my suggestions and we wrote about Sports—this time I concentrated on my sporting activities.

Volunteer Activities: I worked all day at the Contra Costa County Historical Society’s History Center. There were a lot of old queries that I filed or fulfilled. I also spent the day at the desk of the California Genealogical Society’s library. I had two researchers come—one research her Mexican roots, and the other looking for books on Maine.

Intermediate Skills 2. We had our second class about military records at the FamilySearch Library in Oakland. I’m teaching the class for the California Genealogical Society and I have 15 students! They are seem excited to be in class and participated well. We’ll cover records in lists next week.

Other Activities. My husband and I visited several homes on the 2018 Home Tour conducted for the Martinez Museum. The homes were very interesting and it's always a great pleasure to see older homes and how they are decorated. We popped in for 5 minutes at the Shell Museum and hope to go back again soon. It will be a great place for research and I'll write it up.  Afterwards, we went to one of the new brew pubs, Five Suns Brewery at 500 Estudillo. They serve beer they brewed and some food from neighboring restaurants.


Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments