Skip to main content

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks – Week 52: Resolution – “My Goals for 2019”

I am working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow. I will write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or at My Trails Into the Past. I’m looking forward to writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.

Now that my energy is no longer focused on finishing my BCG portfolio, I need a new project to work on. In these past three months I have been in a fog, wandering from one genealogy activity to another, trying to find something to occupy my time.

I should organize my files. I have a lot of old paper notes and photocopies that could be scanned or tossed. I have files from a book I wrote about my husband’s family that should be culled and donated along with the files put together by Aunt Bernice and cousin Terry to the California State Archives. I also have slides from early vacations that should be scanned and had started that process, but scanning slides is very time-consuming. It takes much longer to scan than photos because of the need to do it at a higher resolution.

This past week, we had a celebration for my brother’s birthday, and I was sitting with my nephew describing the newspaper articles I found about my mother’s activity with the Junior Woman’s Club in Pittsburg. I showed him the blog post showing my mother pictured with Louis Armstrong. Link to the post is here. He got all excited about the articles and said I should write up a book about the family. He was even willing to put money towards it. I was touched by that. Finally someone who was genuinely interested in the family and the family stories!

So my goal this year will to be putting together the story of the ancestors of my father, William Joseph Hork. I’m starting with him because I had written an earlier book about some of his Sullivan and Gleeson relatives. I have collected a lot more information about those families and wanted to update the book anyway, so I’ll take on a different focus so it’ll be a totally new book. In the meantime, preparing for the book, I’ll be organizing the files for those families—so two projects in one!

2019 Goals
**Organize the Nilsen family files to donate
**Organize Hork, Sullivan, Gleeson, & Tierney files to prepare for writing
**Work on a book about William J Hork’s ancestors

I think these are very doable goals!

Entrance to 2019 Goals!

Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments