Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of January 21-27, 2019

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
I volunteered at the Oakland FamilySearch Library this week. I discovered they have NewspaperArchive.com and I searched Mitchell, South Dakota newspapers for the Gleeson family. I found quite a few about Martin Gleeson, my 2x-great-uncle, who served on the local council for several years. His brother John J. Gleeson, was a member of Ancient Order of United Workmen (AOUW). And John’s son, Harold R. Gleeson, had an for his grocery store. What great finds!

I also helped a young man searching his Jewish ancestors in Philadelphia. He wanted help with naturalization records. We looked at what he had collected already and I suggested he make some timelines and other spreadsheets so he could see all the data in one place to help analyze it. We discovered that an Ancestry database for WWII drafts had the wrong cards (front and back) put together.

Sunset looking toward San Francisco

The updated temple at night

Blog Writing: I wrote the following blog posts this week:
52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks For week 4, I wrote about an ancestor I would like to meet: my 2x-great-aunt, Elizabeth M. Gleeson.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: We were to go back in time with two degrees of separation, i.e. an ancestor who knew an ancestor. This was a repeat theme, so I just used the post I had done in 2016.

Webinars/Study Groups Attended  I attended three this week:
  • BlackProGen: Research Road Trips
  • Patriot or Not? Using the GPS on a Closed DAR Line
  • Using OneNote With Your Genealogy

Other Activities
It was back to the old routine once back from SLIG. I had two German classes, where I spoke about my trip to Salt Lake City. I met with my husband’s cousin to answer questions about putting her writing activities into print form.  Also went to the dentist for a cleaning (no cavities!) and had an appointment with the Social Security office about going on Medicare. And lastly I worked more on the Friends of Alhambra Creek brochure that we’re updating before John Muir Earth Day Birthday in April.

Our daughter, Elizabeth came so we could eat at Haute Stuff on their last day of serving dinners. Elizabeth used to work there during high school. They will still be open for lunch during the week.

Our last meal at Haute Stuff

Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments