Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of March 3-10, 2019

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Blog Writing: I wrote the following blog post this week:

 Webinars/Study Groups Attended:  I attended:
  • “A Guide to Third Party Tools,” by Michelle Leonard. Loved her Glasgow accent. She really packed the webinar with some great tips.
  • “Essential Considerations for DNA Evidence,” by Blaine Bettinger, a RootsTech 2019 talk.
  • “The Research Road Map, Your Path to Success,” by Amy Johnson Crow, also a RootsTech 2019 talk.
  • “Hispanic Genealogy: Spanish Records,” a live presentation at CGS. It was very good and now I have a resource to help others.

I volunteered at the Oakland FamilySearch Library on Wednesday. Was a little busy when I first arrived by most people left before 5 pm. I downloaded a bunch of yearbook images from Chaffey High School in Ontario, California and Stephenville, Texas at My Heritage and helped a man locate articles in some newspaper sites. I also volunteered at the History Center, where I continued working on the finding aid.

My own work centered on writing up the homework for AmericanGen Study Group and processing the many records I have downloaded over the past few weeks (and months) in my download folder.

Other Activities

Two friends and I went to Jepson Prairie to do some pre-opening work, checking out the location of Fritillaria liliacea (Fragrant Fritillary) so people wouldn’t tramp on them. A few other flowers were blooming, too. The wind was blowing hard and it was pretty cold!





Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments