Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of April 8-14, 2019

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Blog Writing: I wrote the following blog post this week:

 Webinars/Study Groups Attended: 
  • I attended the Monday Morning Genealogy Group of the Contra Costa County Genealogical Society and we had nice discussion about lots of topics. We viewed a video of a new Italian LDS temple, spoke about searching in Ancestry and FamilySearch, as well as lots of other topics. Most everyone went to lunch together afterwards.
  • I participated in the DearMyrtle “AmericanGen” Study Group. This week we covered court records and I spoke about finding evidence of a suit against my husband’s grandfather in the newspaper. I have made a request for the court records from the Jasper County (Missouri) Archives.
  • In Friday’s certification study group, we spoke a bit about genealogy review writing from chapter 21 in the new ProGen book.

I volunteered at the Contra Costa County Historical Society’s History Center on Tuesday. I spent most of the day culling out-of-county news from one of the Contra Costa Times clipping files drawers.

Own Work.
I continued scanning and gathering items for the personal archives. The boxes have arrived and I’m sorting the photos into appropriate sized boxes. I started by putting archive numbers on the back of the photo and record information about the photo into a spreadsheet. I wasn’t sure how to tie the new number to the already-scanned photo on my computer, but I have decided to record the current name on the spreadsheet along with the folder in which it resides. I am finding photos that hadn’t been previously scanned, so I’m scanning, too. What I should really do is re-scan all of the photos using a higher resolution and save in TIFF format.


Other Activities
The main activity this week was attending two San Francisco Giants baseball games at the newly renamed ballpark, Oracle Park. The Giants had not been winning much, but to my pleasure, they won both games on Thursday and Saturday, as well as the game in-between, for their first multiple-game winning streak. I also got to eat my first garlic fries of the season!



Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments