Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Photograph(s) of Your Favorite Heirloom(s)

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

Here is our assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing:
1)  Last week we shared the heirlooms that we inherited or obtained from our families.
2)  This week, please show a photograph of one or two of them.
3)  Share your cherished heirloom(s) in your own blog post, on Facebook, and leave a link to it in the comments.
Last week, I shared two blog posts that I wrote about some heirlooms I have. I also mentioned some others that I will now show here.

Glass-domed clock. This clock was passed down to me by my grandmother, Pansy Louise (Lancaster) Johnston in 2005. I always loved watching this clock when I was a young child and am glad I now have it. It is not working now, so I need to find a clock repair shop. This clock was made in Germany.  I searched for these clocks and Google and found they are called Anniversary Clocks.  I found on sale at eBay a Kundo Clock very similar to mine for $50. Maybe it’s not as special as I thought. However, I cherish the memories of seeing it in my grandparent’s home.
Anniversary Clock
Pearl necklace. The pearl necklace also came from my grandmother, Pansy Louise Johnston. It was an occasion where she was giving away jewelry she had to my sisters and me. I didn’t care for much of it—too gaudy for me, but I did love the pearls, so it was the only piece I took and I let my sisters have the rest. I do enjoy the pearls and love the feel of them against my skin.


Wedding ring. My aunt, Lorene Hork Waldron, passed the ring to me. It was my father’s mother’s wedding ring. I don’t know how long she wore it. She was separated from her husband, William Cyril Hork, since at least 1938-39 until his death in 1967. I wore the ring for awhile until my fingers became too big when I was pregnant with my first child. Now it rests with my other rings.



The boar & the couple. These two items came from Mrs. Annie Hardin, a woman who lived in Sacramento and the person with whom my father-in-law, George Joseph Gorrell lived when he first came to Sacramento to work at the air field at McClellan. She was a special person to him and the family visited her often. We have a few other things of hers that I have not photographed yet. She died in 1962.



Step stool. This step stool was made by Norman’s grandfather, Joseph Norman Gorrell. It was likely reupholstered by either his mother or father. It was passed down to Norman by his father, George Joseph Gorrell.



So that is a good start. I’ll have to do more of these to document heirlooms we have for our children.

Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. You are fortunate to have so many family heirlooms to cherish and to pass on to your children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought I had heirlooms--you know we have no china, silver, furniture--but these little things are better, and more likely to be saved.

      Delete
  2. You have some interesting heirlooms. How did the ring become so bent? I love the handmade stool, too, but the little boar is the most unusual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ring was naturally angled. It is so thin. I guess my grandfather didn't have much money. I'm not a big fan of the boar. His brother got the bear.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.