Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Weeks of Nov 11-17, 2019

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Blog Writing:

Webinars/Study Groups Attended:   
  • “US Military Soldier’s Homes” by Rick Sayre

I attended the Monday Morning group and spoke about finding a Davey cousin who lives in South Australia. I joined the Thursday evening group but we had no Friday study group meeting this week.

I presented at the Contra Costa County Genealogical Society about how to order military records. Then listened to Carolyn Williams present about creating a home archive. It was very good.

Client Work:
I had a query about translating German letters but referred him to some of the translators listed in Der Blumenbaum. The sample he sent was just too difficult for me to do.

Volunteer Work:
I opened up at the History Center this week and continued working on special collections that need to be processed. There are several more to do.

Own Work:
I spent all day Friday at my husband’s aunt’s house where with his cousin, we continued adding my research papers into the collection Aunt Bernice already had. These papers will be donated to the California State Archives. Will return again on Monday.

I did some research on Rev. Albert M. Hork, and also processed some of the papers I have that have not yet been scanned. These will go with me next week to the FamilySearch Library in Oakland where I will use the copier/scanner.

Other:
For exercise this week, I rode my bike to the Monday Morning meeting and to the History Center on Tuesday. I didn’t get much more except for a walk on Saturday.

I did drive to Foster City for a model railroad convention meeting, where I’m secretary. The drive was nice except for going across the San Mateo Bridge into the sun.

Lastly, Norman and I, along with his brother, Brian, and wife, Linda, rode on an excursion on the Woodland branch of the Sacramento Northern for an Amador Central fundraiser. It was a lovely ride aboard the two private cars, Two Rivers and Burrard, being pulled by a Sierra Northern Railway locomotive. The owners of the cars were very friendly. The scenery was especially nice, as we got to see parts of the Sacramento River and valley that one wouldn’t see from a car. Afterwards, we had dinner in downtown Woodland. What a great way to spend a Sunday!






Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments