Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Your Number One Songs

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

 It's Saturday Night again -

time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing has our assignment for today:
Tonight, we're going to go down memory lane a bit.
1)  What was the #1 song on the day you were born?  Or on your birthday when you were 15?  When you were 18?  Or when you married?  Or some other important date in your life.
2)  Go to http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/birthdayno1 and enter the date and select from UK, US or Australia record lists.  Note:  the first date available is 1 January 1946.  Alternatively, go to Wikipedia.org and search for "number one songs in yyyy" (insert your year) and enter the month and date and see a list of number one songs for each year since 1940.
3)  Tell us what your results are (If you are sensitive about your age, don't list the date or year... ) on a blog post of your own, a comment to this post, or in a Facebook status line or note.
I found the This Day In Music site the easiest to use.


  •  On my birth day, it was Doris Day’s “Sweet Love”
  • On my 15th birthday in 1969, it was: “Dizzy” by Tommy Roe
  • On my 18th birthday in 1972, it was: “A Horse With No Name” by America
  • On our wedding day, 23 August 1980, it was: “Magic” by Olivia Newton-John

None of these songs would have been on my radar and I don’t have any of them among my vinyl collection. But I did listen to music most of my life. My mother played the radio as we grew up. Once I could buy my own records, I purchased music I heard on KFRC or KYA radio, or soundtracks from movies I saw. Teenage years, I listened to Neil Diamond, John Denver, Barry Manilow, the Carpenters, and the Beatles. As an older adult, I used to listen to KFOG radio with alternative adult rock. Sadly, the station format is gone—replaced by sports talk.

Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. KFOG is only sports talk now? Aarrgghh!! Cumulus is evil. :(

    But your songs are pretty cool ones. I especially like "A Horse with No Name."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about Cumulus. I will listen during baseball season on occasion. But they had already ruined KFOG before it changed. None of the DJs were there anymore. I'm a NPR listener now in the car. No commercials.

      Delete
  2. I like Dizzy and A Horse with No Name. I haven't heard the Doris Day song or Olivia Newton-John's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My problem with songs, is I never know the artist or title, but can also sing along with the song.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.