Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of January 13-19, 2020

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Blog Writing:
  • 9th Blogiversary! I’m celebrating my ninth anniversary of starting my first blog.


Webinars/Study Groups Attended:   
I met with the Monday Morning group of the Contra Costa County Genealogical Society, where we shared what we had been doing the past month with our genealogy. Gluten-free pancakes were a treat for me at IHOP. I also met with the Friday certification study group for a short time.

I attended one webinar:
  • “Discovering Minister Isaac Steele & His Family Using Land Records and Manuscripts” by J Mark Lowe for Florida State Genealogical Society. Mark has a great voice and wonder tales on finding interesting tidbits.

Client Work:
None.

Volunteer Work:
At the History Center, I started on a new collection to process—full of campaign literature from the 60s-90s.

Wednesday, I worked at the Oakland FamilySearch Library. Very quiet there that evening, so I scanned a bunch of slides I took in England in 1976.

Own Work:
I have been working hard this week on preparing new lectures for the Adult School course which begins Feb 6. I am condensing and adding exercises to an older census course I had created for CGS many years ago. Next, I will work on the Death Records and Organization classes.

Other:
The Coast Division of the Pacific Coast Region of the National Model Railroad Association had a board of operations meeting. There were so few there, that not much business was conducted. Also this past weekend, our Walnut Creek Model Railroad Society had an open house/show for the public. I operated mostly in the cabs.

Friday, I had a late Christmas get-together with my long-time friend, Beth. We met at The Habit for burgers, fries, and a shake, exchanged gifts, and then walked around Broadway Shopping Center, mostly window-shopping. It’s what we used to do when in high school, meeting there on Saturdays to buy candy and books and check out the stores. The shopping center looks nothing like it did back in the day – only Nordstrom and Macy are still there.

Art fun in Walnut Creek

Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments