Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of January 20-26, 2020

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Blog Writing:

Webinars/Study Groups Attended:   
I attended the Thursday night study group and we discussed classes at SLIG and goals for the next year. Our Friday group was cancelled due to too many would be absent.  However, I met with Jacqueline at the Walnut Creek Library and we worked on genealogy and had lunch at The Silk Road.

I attended webinars this week:
  • “New Tools & Ideas for Research,” by Josh Taylor. His beginning about time management was very useful.
  • “Creative Hypothesis Development for Complex Genealogy Problems,” by Jan M Joyce for the BCG webinar. It was very interesting and she asked for audience participation a couple of times during the webinar for a unique approach.

Client Work:
I had no regular client work. I presented to the San Mateo County Genealogical Society (SMCGS) on Saturday, “Offline Research.” I was a substitute and the house was pretty full. I think it was well-received.

Big crowd at the SMCGS meeting

Volunteer Work:
At the History Center, I continued working on the collection about campaign literature from the 60s-90s.

Signups for the California Genealogical Society’s research trip to the Family History Library in Salt Lake City in May that I'm leading is filling up fast. I have one and half rooms left. Wow! We had to adjust the Eventbrite sign up site to not be overbooked!

Own Work:
I continued working on preparing new lectures for the Adult School course which begins Feb 6. I have finished the census class (at least put it to rest to review in a week), and started on the Organization class. The last one will be records documenting death. It shouldn’t be too hard to do, plus it will be taught the last week, so if I don’t get to it before the start, I’ll still have time.

I also put together a Shutterfly book about our last trip to New York City in December.

Other:
I attended the play, “Glass Menagerie” at the Campbell Theater with three friends, Jamie, Elaine, and Dorrie. It was my first time seeing the Tennessee Williams’ play and the actors were all very good.

German on Monday nights started up again on Monday and I drove Nancy and Margo to class. We spent most of the time discussing our Christmas vacations.

Narcissus flowers are blooming in our yard. The weather has warmed up some and soon fruit trees will begin budding. I need to get some wildflower seeds out soon.



Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments