Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of January 6-12, 2020

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Blog Writing:

Webinars/Study Groups Attended:   
I met with three study groups this week. Monday was the first of 12 monthly sessions in Cari Taplin’s National Genealogical Society Quarterly study group. We introduced ourselves and learned how the program would work. I’m looking forward to it. I already knew about a half a dozen other participants. Thursday evening I was late meeting with Kim, Linda and Kathryn.  Friday, four of us checked in with our past week’s activities.

I attended one webinar:
  • “Mistakes I have Made: Confessions of a Repentant Genealogist” by Chri Hudson Passey for Legacy Family Tree Webinar. Her presentation was full of mistakes she (and many of us) made when she first started genealogy, along with excellent solutions.

Client Work:
I presented “Researching Offline” to the Contra Costa County Genealogical Society.

Volunteer Work:
Returned to the History Center on Tuesday, where I did some catch-up on correspondence received over the break. I hope to get back to the finding aid and processing of collections that have arrived. A big one to do is the Pleasant Hill Historical Society’s records.

Friday, I worked the desk at the California Genealogical Society’s library. No patrons came in, which made for a quiet day. I got some writing done!

Saturday, the historical society held their annual meeting/luncheon. Eddie Hart, an Olympian runner was the speaker. We arrived early to set-up and I helped clean-up afterwards. It was a great meeting, if only attended by about forty.

Own Work:
On Monday, I met with Jacqueline at the Walnut Creek library where we worked on our own genealogy projects and had lunch together. I finished up the flyer of the list of my presentations and sent them out to several local genealogical societies. Hopefully I will hear back from some of them.

Other:
Our 2021 convention meeting for the National Model Railroad Association was held at the Walnut Creek Model Railroad Society club room. We are making progress, but still need a registrar. I am the secretary and that job is enough for me right now.

Had a wonderful time celebrating my friend, Phred’s birthday on Sunday by sharing some ice cream.




Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments