Skip to main content

52 Ancestors (2020) – Week 11: Luck: My Irish Ancestry

This is my third year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow. I will write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or at My Trails Into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.

My father, William J. Hork, was half Irish and half German. His mother, Anna Marie Sullivan was one hundred percent Irish. Her father, John H. Sullivan was born in County Cork and her mother, Anna Marie Gleeson, was born in Carleton County, Ontario, Canada to Canadian-born Irish. Her grandparents, Martin & Ann Gleeson, and John Tierney & Ann Murray were probably born in County Tipperary.

Growing up, we were very proud of our Irish ancestry. We looked forward to St. Patrick’s Day when we could wear green (so as to not get pinched) and have corned beef and cabbage for dinner. Mom would make a cake for dessert, decorated with green frosting. Or perhaps we had green-frosted cupcakes at school.

People talk about the “luck of the Irish” but I don’t know that I have been very lucky in my research of my Irish family. I am grateful for the records I have found, especially those in Canada, but I have not been so lucky with those from Ireland. I hired a researcher many years ago to research the Sullivan/Sheehan family and he found a few records, but just our luck, the one church book that would have had the Jerry Sullivan-Mary Sheehan marriage was missing/lost. My great-grandfather’s baptism wasn’t in the church records, either, though some of his siblings were. When the Irish Catholic Church records were released, I’d hoped to find him baptized in another parish but no such luck.

Maybe with luck, I’ll meet these ancestors in Heaven and can ask where they were born.

Other blog posts on my Irish families:


https://pixabay.com/photos/house-country-ireland-summer-3786593/

Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments