Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Mar 2-8, 2020

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Blog Writing:

  • Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – DoYou Have a Mary Smith. We were asked to search for a Mary Smith in our database and then do some additional research. I had a Mary Jane Davey who married an unknown Smith. I still couldn’t find any information about her marriages or her death after searching in Ancestry and FamilySearch in places where I knew she lived. Likely she either died at a place without death registration or married yet again.

Webinars/Study Groups Attended:   
I attended my monthly Monday NGSQ discussion group for about fifteen minutes, but then lost our internet connection. On Thursday evening our discussion group talked about coronavirus most of the time but later moved to discussing the NGS conference. I missed the Friday group but watched to the recording. They had good discussions and I’m sorry that I missed it. I attended no webinars this week.

Volunteer Work:
I worked at the History Center, working on the Finding Aid and entering some collections on the Online Archive of California website. I will need to start on a new collection to process.

The Wednesday morning class I’m teaching for the California Genealogical Society at the Oakland FamilySearch Library is going well. We discussed immigration, naturalization and migration records. There are two more weeks.

I volunteered at the FamilySearch Library in the evening. There were more of us staff than researchers. I managed to get some images from locked images.

I also taught the Vital Records class in CGS’s Introduction to Genealogy Series to five students, who were pretty much beginners. I hope they continue to come to the classes. However, the rest of the month the library will be closed due to the coronavirus threat.

Own Work:
On Friday, I met with Jacqueline at the Walnut Creek Library. I worked on Wayne and Sampson County deeds from FamilySearch. I have been working on writing about Daniel Coor who lived in Wayne and Sampson Counties in North Carolina until 1807. I have found both deeds recorded at the county level and land grants from the state. I am slowly transcribing the deeds trying to find which he bought and whether he sold them. Daniel is my 5x-great-grandfather.

Other:
I volunteered at the John Muir National Historic site pulling weeds. I also did the phenology study on Thursday at the Meadow. I brought my camera and got some shots of birds.



Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments