Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Your "Favorite" Genealogy Websites (2020)

It's Saturday Night -

time for more Genealogy Fun!

 

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing has our assignment for tonight. Our mission, should we decide to accept it (cue the Mission Impossible music here) is to:

1)   What are your "Favorite" genealogy websites?  What ones do you have in your web browser "Bookmarks" or "Favorites" bar or listing?

2)  Please list them in your own blog post, in a comment on this post, or in a Facebook post.  Please leave a link to your work in a comment on this post.

Here’s mine:

I probably use the following websites for genealogy research at least every day :
  • Ancestry.com
  • FamilySearch: mostly the catalog and the wiki
  • Google.com (keyword search, images, translate, maps, books)

More often, I use:
  • The Portal to Texas History, mostly the newspaper images
  • Newspapers.com
  • GenealogyBank.com
  • Chronicling America
  • FindAGrave

Depending on what I’m trying to research, I’ll use the following:
  • USGenWeb.org
  • Bureau of Land Management (glorecords.blm.gov)
  • Missouri State Archives
  • Mississippi State Archives 
  • other state archives websites
  • A Century of Law Making for a New Nation, Library of Congress
  • Online Archive of California
  • Facebook
  • Internet Archive

For learning about new resources or methodology:
  • FamilySearch Wiki
  • Legacy Family Tree Webinars
  • Board for the Certification Genealogists, for wonderful work samples

Bookmarks
I don’t really use bookmarks in my browser, though I have them. Ancestry, FamilySearch, and FamilySearch Catalog have a direct bookmark and there are many other links I have bookmarked but don’t use much. I can usually find what I want by typing in the browser address bar and it pops right up. Chrome remembers where I’ve been before!

I also collect website links and categorize them in my genealogy toolbox I keep in OneNote. I have to admit I don’t open it as much as I used to. Searching in a browser usually turns up what I’m looking for.



Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Although I don't have them bookmarked, I've used and loved Portal to TX History and the FamilySearch Wiki is fabulous. BLM records are great, too, and Missouri has done a wonderful job digitizing records. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to list everything we use--there are so many wonderful sites.

      Delete
  2. I don't use USGenWeb as much as I used to. Not sure why that is. It's still a very useful site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have fond memories of the site, as I used it often before Ancestry came along. I don't think it's supported much anymore. But I used it as a resource for writing letters to repositories.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.