Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of June 22-28, 2020

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

I have completed fifteen weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. I left the house this past week to work at the CCCHS History Center, walks to the mailbox, and a yoga class in a park. Otherwise, I met people on Zoom.

Genealogy
Blog Writing:
Blogs posted this past week:

Study Groups Attended:   
Many online meetings again this week:
  • Our Monday Morning Group met without me as I had another meeting to attend. When I got to the meeting, there were twelve people there.  
  • I met with Jacqueline for our weekly hour talk. We discussed Survey Monkey and Father’s Day.
  • I managed to remember to attend the Certification Discussion Group meeting on Wednesday and heard how the latest CG accomplished her portfolio.
  • Three of us Amigos met on Wednesday and each had some good news to share.  
  • Three of us were on for the Thursday evening discussion group. We’re looking forward to our institute class at MAAGI.
  • My Friday Cert Discussion group met with five of us. We discussed the GRIP program from that week and then discussed the Q article.

Webinars Attended:
  • Utilizing HaithiTrust by Colleen Robledo Greene (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)
  • Northern California Genealogy by Sean Conley (San Mateo County Genealogical Society)

Client Work/Presentations:
I have work to do for an upcoming project and signed the paperwork. I should be getting the beginning documents on Monday.

Volunteer Work:
I attended the Distance Learning committee meeting for CGS this week. It will be great once we have a nice number of people involved to make the work load light.

I also put in a full day at the History Center for CCCHS. I worked on entering new donations into PastPerfect and putting away what I could (clippings, postcards, photos). This coming week I will work on boxing them up and writing finding aids for them.

Own Work:
I continued working on early Beaver County tax records, writing up what I find and analyzing and comparing these records with other records such as census. I think I have discovered the correct parents for James Gorrell, instead of the father listed in a little book written in 1930. I want to do more work on it.

Other:
I dug up some California Rose plants from the Senior Center on Monday to transplant, but it looks like only one plant might make it. I think I was supposed to do it differently. My lettuce plants that came from trimmings off of store-bought lettuce is growing great in the planter box as well as some seeds I threw in. The squash plant is growing slowly.

Our 2021 NMRA convention meeting on Thursday, where I took minutes, went well. I think more things are happening and it looks positive we’ll have a convention.

I found a new beaver mural in Martinez on our walk.



Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments