Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of May 25-31, 2020

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

I have completed eleven weeks of “lock down” due to Covid-19. I left the house only to do phenology at the meadow and walks to the mailbox. Otherwise, I’m meeting people on Zoom.

Genealogy
Blog Writing:
Blogs posted this past week:

Study Groups Attended:   
Many online meetings again this week:
  • Our Monday Morning Group met for ninety minutes. As always, we had sharing and questions and answer time.
  • I met with Jacqueline for our weekly talk about our own genealogical projects.
  • I attended the Facebook Certification Discussion Group and another newly certified genealogist gave her story to certification.
  • All of us 4 Amigos met on Wednesday for more catching up. We heard about Linda’s webinar but also spoke other things, too.
  • Just Linda and I were on for the Thursday evening discussion group. We spoke about CGS’s plans for webinars and I volunteered to be on the committee to help. They will need one or two people per webinar to act as hosts. I spoke about the upcoming webinar I am doing and Linda suggest I create a speaking contract.
  • My Friday Cert Discussion group met with six of us. We discussed our progress in our projects and then discussed briefly the NGS article form the most recent journal. I think if we’re going to discuss these articles, we need either questions or write out comments ahead of time. Josh sent his comments about our citation discussion the previous week and it was very helpful. He and I continued discussing it via email over the weekend.
  • 3 Amigos met to discuss the Writing Family History class we’re taking at the National Institute of Genealogical Studies. We took the final exam and passed with 100 percent. This class did not live up to our expectations. The questions seemed to focus more on genealogy and the gathering of information than about the process of writing the family history.

Webinars Attended:
  • Using the Non-Population Schedules for Context and Evidence by Jill Morelli for the Florida State Genealogical Society.

Client Work/Presentations:
I gave the last part of the last class on offline research for the CGS Intermediate Skills class. I spent the first part of the class having the participants discuss their future plans they created.

Volunteer Work:
I finished the Writing Stories presentation for the CGS Writing Series we’re going to present. We also decided to start the series in August.

Own Work:
I rewrote my article for the Nugget and discovered that the critic editor also has ancestors from Huntington Township in Ross County, Ohio. I will take the time to see if her ancestor’s name is listed in Frederick Bishop’s estate papers.

Other:
I spent this week loading files from my old computer to the new one. It is time consuming when I only have a 16 GB thumb drive. Luckily, I have two thumb drives and could load one up while the other is downloading. Most of the files to be moved are genealogy files.

One of my German classes had the last class. Thursday’s class will end this coming week. My Monday class will probably continue through the summer.

I went to Phenology at the meadow and only had time for one walk, which I did to check out the progress of the demolition of John Muir Elementary School.

The Pacific Coast Region (PCR) of the National Model Railroad Society (NMRA) had their business meeting on Friday. I am a board member for the Coast Division and we gave out awards at the meeting. I gave our Coast Division Member of the Year to Ronnie LaTorres.  I also attended the NMRA 2021 Convention Committee meeting on Thursday which we conducted on Zoom. 

I did some gardening and took a few photos of some native plants that are blooming.





Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments