Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Aug 31-Sep 6, 2020

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

I have completed twenty-five (25) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. I went twice this week (mask on): I did phenology at the meadow and attended yoga in the park. Most days were nice and cool with early morning fog, but by Saturday it was warming up, and on Sunday it was over 100.

 Genealogy
Blog Writing:
Blogs posted this past week:
Study Groups Attended:   
  • Monday Morning Group. I set up the meeting but didn’t attend. Instead, I attended the Zoom meeting for Acalanes Adult School instructors learning about Canvas.  
  • Jacqueline and I met for a little over an hour and played with LibraryThing website, entering our books and linking our accounts.
  • Wednesday, I attended the Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS) Live presentations. It was their last conference before their merger with NGS in October. Three of the presentations were great.
  • Three of us were in attendance in the Thursday evening discussion group.
  • My Friday Cert Discussion group meet and six of us discussed our plans for future group studies. We will do the discussions first thing and if time, discuss other things on our minds.

Webinars Attended:

  • “Citations—Easier than you think” by Stewart Traiman (CGS Writing Course)
  • “Intro to Genealogy” by Jennifer Dix (CGS Intro Course)
FGS Presentations:
  • “Quarantined! Genealogy, The Law & Public Health,” by Judy G. Russell, CG
  • “Scaling the 1870 Brick Wall in African American Research,” by Ari Wilkins
  • “Building a Respectable Genealogy, One Document Biography at a Time,” by Tom Jones, CG

Client Work/Presentations:
Gave a presentation on newspaper research to the Genealogical Society of Vallejo-Benicia. Only twelve were in attendance but they are hiring me to give a talk in November, too.  

Spent the rest of the week working on the lesson plans for both of my Adult School classes. I finished one lesson on Sunday.

Volunteer Work:
Answered some emails concerning the History Center.

Own Work:
Only work I did this week was in preparing the 52 Ancestors’ post on Edward N. Flynn.

Other:
Our daughter, Margaret, arrived from NYC on Friday for a three-week stay. We shall get some interesting dinners while she’s here. She loves to experiment with new recipes.
  • Twilight Whispers by Barbara Delinsky
I am still reading:
  • The Color of Law
  • White Heat: The New Warfare, 1914-1918
  • Send Us a Lady Physician: Women Doctors in America 1835-1920
  • The Widow Washington
Book that arrived in the mail this week:
  • They Were Her Property by Stephanie E. Jones-Rogers
Photos from the meadow this week:





Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments