Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Sep 21-27, 2020

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

I have completed twenty-eight (28) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. I did phenology at the meadow. I took some things to Goodwill and visited at Salvation Army store. I went to volunteer at the History Center on Tuesday. And I took photos at Heather Farm Park on early Friday morning where I hardly saw anyone. Margaret is still here but went to visit her friend in Tracy. Elizabeth and her dachshund, Doobie, came for the weekend.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:
Blogs posted this past week:

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 39: Should Be a Movie—Lorene Hork Traveled the World with Three Chums  I wrote about how my aunt and three of her girlfriends traveled Asia and Europe after a tour of work with the U.S. Army in Tokyo in the 1950s.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: Your“7 Generations in 1”.  We created family trees in an excel file coving seven generations. I did one each for my and my husband’s family.

Study Groups Attended:   
I attended fewer study groups this week due to the company I have at home:

  • Monday Morning Group. Fourteen came to share their genealogy work. We talked about recording in Word, DNA, and obits.
  • Jacqueline and I met for a little over an hour and talked about a variety of things.
  • All four of the Amigos met. We talked about land records and Stewart’s problem in NY.
  • Thursday Group met with three of us. Linda had news to share.
  • Five of us met in the Friday Cert Discussion group and we started on another article for discussion, which Josh led.

Webinars Attended:
I got in quite a few webinars this week, two of them live. The four Tom Jones talks were presented at the San Diego Genealogical Society on behalf of the Sacramento German Genealogy Society. I couldn’t attend live and watched the recordings this weekend.

  • Creating an Effective Index by Matt Berry, the last of the CGS Writing Series
  • Finding & Using Digitized Manuscript Collections by Annette Burke Lyttle
  • Combing Sources to Identify an Immigrant Origin by Tom Jones
  • Building a Credible Lineage Despite Multiple Research Barriers by Tom Jones
  • Overcoming Research Barriers: A Case Study by Tom Jones
  • Finding “Unfindable” Ancestors by Tom Jones

Client Work/Presentations:
No client work this week except to submit the last invoice for the project I finished. I continued working on the lessons plans for the two Adult School courses I start teaching next week.

Volunteer Work:
I visited the History Center on both Tuesday and Ben and I moved all of the library books into two areas: keep and not keep. On Wednesday the CCCHS board had a special board meeting to select the new executive director.

Own Work:
No genealogy research done this week.

Other
We took more items to Goodwill. None of the charity deposit areas will take more than a bag or two at a time. Too many people are clearing out their own homes and not enough are buying items from the stores.

I attended my classes via Zoom at the Acalanes Adult School. I have photography, Advanced German Conversation, and Intermediate German Conversation. I’m still in Nancy’s Monday Night German class, too. I also have a ukulele lesson each week via Zoom.

I am still reading, though I have not had any time this week. I hope once the classes I’m teaching are finished I can get back to reading and writing.

  • The Color of Law
  • White Heat: The New Warfare, 1914-1918
  • Send Us a Lady Physician: Women Doctors in America 1835-1920
  • Twilight Whispers

Photo of the week: Heather Farm Park (Walnut Creek) natural pond area. I turned in these two for the photography class.



Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments