Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Sep 7-13, 2020

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

I have completed twenty-six (26) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. My gosh, it’s been half a year already! I went out more this week (mask on): I did phenology at the meadow. My daughter and I took some things to Goodwill. We ate out twice, once in Petaluma and once in Martinez (eating outside with our immediate family), and once to pick up take-out.

The weather this week started out cool, got so warm by mid-week we needed the air conditioner, but by Thursday, the smoke in the air along with the marine layer of fog made the sky a dark orange all day. It was still dark at 9 am but got a little lighter as the day went on. The orange was gone by Friday, but we’re still struggling with poor air quality due to the numerous fires in California.

Genealogy
Blog Writing:
Blogs posted this past week:

Study Groups Attended:   
I attended fewer study groups this week due to the company I have at home:
  • Monday Morning Group. It was a small group because of the Labor Day holiday.
  • Jacqueline and I met for a little over an hour and worked with her new blog going over settings.
  • Six of us met in the Friday Cert Discussion group and we started the discussion of Debbie Parker Wayne’s research report. We’re using the rubrics to make comments on it.

Webinars Attended: I attended none.

Client Work/Presentations:
I worked on cleaning up the research report for the client, checking for consistency.  

I try to spend any free time I have on writing more of the lessons plans for the two Adult School courses I’m teaching. Luckily, I still have two more weeks.

Volunteer Work: I answered some emails concerning the History Center.

Own Work:
I have not had any time to work on my own genealogy. I recycled two previous posts into the Saturday Night Genealogy Fun and 52 Ancestors weekly posts.

Other:
With our daughter, Margaret, I have been clearing out excess stuff in the house, and hopefully this week we can tackle her old room, which will be turned into my office. It would be nice to have all of my genealogy things together in one place.

I am still reading, though I have not had any time this week:
  • The Color of Law
  • White Heat: The New Warfare, 1914-1918
  • Send Us a Lady Physician: Women Doctors in America 1835-1920
  • The Widow Washington
  • Twilight Whispers

Book that arrived in the mail this week:
  • The Fruits of Natural Advantage by Steven Stoll. It’s about agriculture in California.

Three books I purchased at Goodwill:
  • The Vineyards of Champagne by Juliet Blackwell
  • In This Grave Hour by Jacqueline Winspear
  • Journey to Munich by Jacqueline Winspear


Photo of the week:

Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments