Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Nov 16-22, 2020

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

I have completed thirty-six (36) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. I worked at the History Center and I did phenology with Shirley at the meadow as usual. Other than that, I didn’t leave the house except for local neighborhood walks.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:
My 52 Ancestor post about my families speaking Swedish and German at home was highlighted in the weekly email from Amy Johnson Crow. That makes it three weeks in a row!

Blogs posted this past week:

Online Study Groups Attended: 

  • I attended Remote Learning Committee on Monday and was tasked to learn more about Vimeo, as a place to store recordings of our Zoom classes.
  • Jacqueline and I had our weekly discussion Monday afternoon, and three of us met for the Amigos chat.
  • The NGSQ group met early Tuesday morning.
  • I attended the fifth of the GenProof sessions with Tom Jones. We discussed analyzing and correlating from Chapter 5.
  • At the Friday Certification Peer group after checking in, we discussed our own activities and never got to the newest assignment.
  • Our last discussion on the book The Color of Law went well and since we enjoyed the discussion so well, hope to find another book to discuss.  
  • I shared four books at Book Club this week that I’m reading, one on Swedish research, and three on early life in Upper Canada.

Webinars Attended:

  • “Reclaiming Ancestral Citizenship,” by Melanie D Holtz
  • “Prints & Photographs Virtual Orientation: Finding Military Images!” by the staff at the Library of Congress photograph department
  • “Separating & Merging Identities of Same-named Men” by Shannon Green

Client Work/Presentations:
Replied to a query with an initial quote but I have not heard back from either of the potential clients.

Gave two talks to genealogy society: Newspapers to the San Joaquin Genealogical Society, and a German talk to the Northern Arizona Genealogical Society. That makes four presentations this month.

Volunteer Work:
I visited the History Center on Tuesday. I worked on putting more archival materials away. This will be the last week probably until next year, as our county has moved into the purple range again with Covid cases and the center will be closed.

The Sacramento German Genealogy Society board met on Zoom to do some planning. Looks like we’ll start up a few new SIGs.  

Own Work:
I started writing a genealogy of the Coor family, which I am finding really entails analyzing and correlating probate, tax, and deed records in order to write the proofs for the kinship linkages between generations. This is stretching me a bit as many of the families lived in the pre-1850 census era.

Other:
This week were the last days of Adult School classes. It’ll be nice to have the break. I still have German with Nancy on Mondays and Ukulele lessons on Thursday.

I received a new book this week that I ordered from the Library: Kopp Sisters on the March by Amy Stewart for our book club in December. So far, it’s a good read. I also received a book that I purchased for a future book club read: The Address Book by Deirdre Mask.

Photos of the week: more nice fall color in our neighborhood.




Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments