Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Dec 28, 2020-Jan 3, 2021

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

I have completed forty-two (42) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. I went out more this week, but tried to stay careful. I was mostly outdoors except to run in for one tea latte at Starbucks (the first in many months). I did phenology, picked up books at the library, walked twice to the mailbox with my husband, and bird watched around the natural pond at Heather Farm Park on New Year’s Day.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

I published three posts this week:

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: 

  • Monday Morning group had 14 of us attended this week. Also met with with Jacqueline briefly, and also with Kristin for our semi-weekly conversations on military research.
  • Wednesday, met with Maureen to discuss the land class I’m going to do in February for CGS. Met with the Intro to Genealogy team to plan out 2021. Met with Stewart to discuss the new RootsMagic8 as we were both beta testers. And the three of us Amigos met.

Webinars Attended: The theme for the two I watched was WWI. This is the topic I am currently studying by viewing lots of records available and studying various resources. These two webinars gave me more resources to study.

  • “The Men & Women of the WMCA and How They Impacted WWI” by KB Barcomb
  • “Finding the Stories of Military Women In WWI,” by Annette Burke Lyttle

Client Work/Presentations
No work this week.

Volunteer Work:
I was the host for the CGS Intro to Genealogy class on Zoom. There was a little mix-up with the link but we got it squared away before the class started. Had over 40 people attend!

Own Work:
I loaded the course material for the Beginning Genealogy class on the Adult School Canvas website. I started work on the Genealogy Workshop class. First lesson is done. Second less is half done. I hope I can get it all complete before the SLIG class starts on January 11. So, I have one more week.

In trying out RootsMagic 8, I entered some education information about my daughters, as well as my membership in Blue Birds. I have a document showing I participated in the Camp Fire Girls candy sale in 1962.

Other:
I attended the OPS SIG meeting on Sunday. It was nice to see two west coast model railroad layouts that focus on operation being highlighted. There were 100 people there today--a full house.

I started a new book Doing Grammar and am working through the exercises. The book only has answers for half of the questions. I try to work on it a little each day. The terminology used in talking about parts of sentences is all new to me. I never had a grammar class in high school or college. I do remember something in 7th or 8th grade, but not any details.

I went bird watching on New Year's Day at Heather Farm Park in Walnut Creek. It was cool but clear and ran into my friend Hugh half way around the natural pond. It was good, as we went up to the pond near the private school and saw two female hooded mergansers and a female wood duck. I saw five herons: snowy egret, great egret, great blue heron, green heron, and night heron. Lots of ring-necked ducks and buffleheads on the pond. In total, I saw 26 species.

I finished reading:

  • A Share in Death by Deborah Crombie

I am working on:

  • A History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage
  • Doing Grammar by Max Morenberg
  • The Address Book by Deirdre Mask
  • Bruno, Chief of Police by Martin Walker

Photos taken this week:
I only took two photos this week, one of a sun rise outside my house, and another of the natural pond at Heather Farm Park in Walnut Creek.


 

Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments