Skip to main content

Advent Calendar 2011 -- Day 8 Christmas Cookies

I have fond memories of Christmas Cookies, both baking and eating!  My mother always had us make sugar cookies we rolled out onto the large kitchen table and cut using the many different shapes.  I was very fond of the tree, Santa & sleigh, and star shapes.  Once baked, we then decorated them with colored frosting and sprinkles.  I remember the old silver and gold sprinkles made with traces of real metal!


When I had children, we cut cookies at our kitchen table, too.  I collected many different cookie cutters and my daughters enjoyed rolling, cutting, and frosting the cookies.  The photos here show my daughters with friends at a friend's house having a Christmas Cookie party.

Elizabeth, Mike, Aaron & Margaret

Adam & Margaret

As you can see, there was always lots of flour around--on the table, in their clothes, and hair!  But they had such a wonderful time creating their masterpieces--each cookie carefully decorated.  Of course, they got to take home the ones they made.
Adam, Jack & Margaret
Elizabeth
The best part of Christmas cookies is the sharing of cookies and then receiving many different kinds in return. My grandmother, Mam-ma always baked for days prior to Christmas and we received fudge, peanut butter balls, chocolate covered pretzel pieces, and many other treats.  Our tenant always brought us persimmon cookies.  I loved to make fudge, snickerdoodles, and chocolate chip cookies to share.  My daughter, Margaret liked to make split seconds, a cookie filled with jam.

What shall we make this year when the girls are home from college?

Copyright © 2011 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past

Comments

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.