Skip to main content

Mappy Monday - Map of Oberhundem


Last week, Michael John Neill wrote about German maps found on Ancestry.com.  I decided to give it a try and find the home town of my Horks:  Oberhundem.  I followed the same instructions Michael gave and found it in no time.  Oberhundem in part of Westfalia, which today is the German state of North Rhein-Westphalia.  According to Wikepedia, it is "the most populous state with 4 of the countries' 10 largest cities."

Here is the map from Wikepedia:

File:North Rhine-Westphalia Topography 08.png

Oberhundem is a small town and is near Arnsberg at the edge of Sauerland.  The maps on Ancestry are historical maps.  I made the map large and then cropped it so I could see just the three towns where I found church records for the Hork, Trosster, and Soemmer families.

Germany, Topographic Maps, 1860-1965, 1898 Attendorn map, Ancestry.com
I found church records in Oberhundem, Kirchhundem and Altenhundem.  If you look close enough, you can imagine one of the little squares was their house!



Copyright © 2012 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past

Comments