Skip to main content

Book of Me, Written by Me, Prompt 15: Snow


This week’s prompt is – Snow!
  • Do you live in area where you routinely have snow?
  • How old were you when you first saw snow?
  • Did you make snowmen? Throw Snowballs
  • Have Sledge Rides
  • What is the image that first came to mind when you read snow?
  • What does snow feel like, smell like & how do you see snow?

I grew of in sunny California, so snow was not a part of our winters. The closest we got to snow was in our readers at school! I was always envious of the places in our readers that had definite 4 seasons: Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring.

One day, though, my father got us out of school early and drove us up to the top of Mt. Diablo, a mountain near us that peaks at 3,864 feet (1,178 m). It had been raining all day at home but at the top of Mt. Diablo, it was snowing! I have no photo of us but I remember the joy in trying to make a very small snowman. The snow was so slushy, that we got very wet in the ill-equipped clothing we were wearing.

The next time I experienced snow was an overnight trip to McCloud near Mt. Shasta. It did not snow while we were there, but there was quite a bit of snow on the ground. I was with my high school girlfriend, Beth, her sister, Phyllis and her father, Mr. Harvey. We made snowmen and slid down mini hills with cardboard we found while Mr. Harvey worked for a day on the tourist steam train. We slept in the car, an old Ford Country Squire overnight and boy was it cold! Phyllis remained the warmest as she slept between us.

Phyllis, Beth, & me at McCloud 1972 or 73
Since that time I’ve experienced snow and it snowing in Salt Lake City, Utah. On several occasions during a genealogy trip to the Family History Library in January or February, it has snowed and we got to enjoy a bit of it while walking to lunch or dinner.

When I think of snow, these images come to mind:
  • Soft & fluffy
  • Wet and cold
  • Clean & white (until it’s been there awhile)
  • Hot chocolate and a warm fire
Still, I’m glad I live in a moderate climate and didn’t have to travel to school and work in the snow.

Copyright © 2014 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past

Comments