Skip to main content

Book of Me, Written by Me, Prompt 19: Who Do You Miss?

The Book of Me, Written by Me is a blogging theme where one can write about their own life using blog themes posted each week. More information can be found at Anglers Rest here.

This week’s prompt is “Who Do You Miss?”
  • People who live elsewhere and that we will not see over the festive seasons
  • People that have passed away.
  • Who do you miss?
  • Why do you miss them?


People who have passed away that I miss:

My mother. I miss being able to pick up the phone and ask for her advice. I miss playing games with her such as Scrabble, Gin Rummy, and Categories. I miss her big pot of vegetable (actually she called it ‘refrigerator’) soup that she would cook all day on the back of the stove. It was so good on a good winter day.

My grandmother, Nana. I miss her reading stories to us, singing to us as we washed dishes, and the candy jar on her desk. I miss the new pajamas every Christmas that we opened on Christmas Eve. I miss lighting votive candles in church with her and putting pennies and nickels in the poor box.

My dad.  I miss going to football and baseball games with him. Of course I never got interested in football when he switched teams from Oakland Raiders to the San Francisco 49ers. But we still had the San Francisco Giants in common. I miss sitting around the backyard in the afternoon and evening just talking and having drinks. I miss the big house where the whole family could easily fit together for a holiday meal.

My grandmother, Mam-ma.  I miss her southern accent and the twinkle in her eye. I miss hearing the stories of the old days in Texas on the farm before she married. I miss the Christmas cookies she spent a month baking that were all so delicious. We all fought over the peanut butter balls. I miss the special lunches we would have on our birthday.







But I have wonderful memories of them and so glad I was able to spend as much time with them as I did.

Copyright © 2014 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past

Comments