Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – What Did Your Father Love To Do?

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings has wonderful exercises for us to do on Saturday Nights. I don’t always participate but today’s assignment intrigued me. I knew just the images I wanted to have alongside my post.
Here is your assignment if you choose to play along (cue the Mission Impossible music, please!):
1) It's Father's Day in the USA on Sunday, so let's talk about our fathers.

2) What did your father really like to do in his work or spare time? Did he have hobbies, or a workshop, or did he like sports, or reading, or watching TV?
3) Tell us about it in your own blog post, in a comment on this post, or in a Facebook or Google+ post.
My father, William J. Hork, loved sports: football, baseball, and golf. He played football in high school and could throw right or left handed as a quarterback.  Later he learned to play golf, but with a large family of six children, he found he didn’t have the resources to keep up with that sport.

It didn’t keep him from watching these sports on T.V.  Over the years, he followed the San Francisco Giants, the Oakland Raiders (before they went to Los Angeles), and the San Francisco 49ers. In his last years of life, the 49ers were a big deal to him. He had T-shirts, sweatshirts, and hats to wear as he sat in his comfy chair in front of the T.V. set. Besides watching the 49ers, he watched all of the NFL games.

It was not until after he passed away in 2007, that I learned how closely he followed the game. He kept status sheets on both the 49ers and Raiders, recording their scores and standings. I even found play sheets showing the various drives the teams made each quarter.

I was never much of a football fan—I love baseball—but I attended many Raider games with my father at the Oakland Coliseum in the 1970’s. What I hated most was leaving before the game was over to avoid the crowds in the parking lot. To this day, I always stay to the end.

Copyright © 2014 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past

Comments