Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Your First Presidential Election

It's Saturday Night again - time for some more Genealogy Fun!!
Here is my assignment this week from Randy Seaver from Genea-Musing:

1)  The 2016 Presidential election is this coming Tuesday.  When did you vote in your first Presidential election and, if you choose, who did you vote for?  What about your parents?  When did they first vote?
2)  Share your responses in comments to this blog post, or in your own blog post, or on Facebook or Google+.  Please leave a link in Comments if you write your own blog post.

My first election was in 1972. I was eighteen and was able to vote because of the 26th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution changing the voting age to 18. It became effective 7/1/1971. My girlfriend’s older brother was also voting for the first time, but he was four years older and had waited until he was 21.


The two candidates were the Republican, Richard Nixon and the Democrat, George McGovern. I have to admit that I couldn’t remember the democrat’s name and had to looked it up. I registered as a Democrat, as my parents had all their lives, and voted for McGovern.



Copyright © 2016 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments