Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Fourth of July Memories

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing has another great theme.

It's Saturday Night and the Fourth of July is Tuesday - let's have some Genealogy Fun! If you're reading this on Sunday morning, or even later, it's not too late for you to participate.

1. Think of the best Fourth of July you remember from your childhood.

2. Think of the best Fourth of July you remember from your adulthood.

3. What will,  you do on the holiday?

4. Write about one, or all, of them on your blog or in Comments to this post, or on Facebook or Google+.

Here's mine:

Childhood Memories
I don’t remember any particular Fourth of July but often my dad barbequed some kind of meat, perhaps hamburgers or a large steak that was sliced thin for sharing. My mom made potato salad or cucumber and onion salad (or maybe both). For dessert we had watermelon or ice cream with chocolate syrup. If the doughboy pool was set up, us kids would swim all day. Some years my dad would drive down to Danville where we found a place to park to watch the fireworks shot from the field at San Ramon Valley High School. Later years when I could drive, I’d take my younger sisters to watch fireworks shot off from Heather Farm Park in Walnut Creek.

Adult Memories
When my daughters were young, we took them to watch fireworks in our Waterfront Park in Martinez. We’d sit on the lawn and oohed and aahed as each one was shot off and then try to choose our favorites. A few years, I directed a week-long Girl Scout day camp during the week of Fourth of July and we always had a camp day on the fourth. The camp would be decorated in red, white, and blue streamers and balloons, and we’d make red, white, and blue sno-cones.

You can see the patriotic board we created in the background.
My daughters and I once marched in the Fourth of July parade in Clayton with the DAR-Anne Loucks Chapter. This was one of the few times I actually bought something red, white, and blue to wear. Unfortunately, I can't find the photos of this event.

This Fourth
This year I plan to march in the Martinez Fourth of July parade with the group, Friends of Alhambra Creek. I’ll wear the Friends of Alhambra Creek 25th anniversary shirt and a Rosie the Riveter bandana. This parade is small and the route short. Mostly non-profits march to give them exposure and to share in the patriotic feelings.

Copyright © 2017 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. It sounds like you have had some very fun 4th of July's. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.