Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Your Unbroken Chain of Gravestones

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing has another challenge for us today:
For this week's mission (should you decide to accept it), I challenge you to: 
1)  Determine what is your longest unbroken line of ancestral gravestones - how many generations can you go back in time?  Do you have photographs of them?
2)  Tell us and/or show us in a blog post of your own, or in a comment to this blog, or in a Facebook status or a Google+ stream post.
This is a very interesting project. I worked on my father’s line this week and found four generations of female ancestors where I have tombstones. Thankfully either I took the photos or they were photos that my friends took for me.

My grandmother, Anna M. Sullivan Hork, was buried at the Los Angeles National Cemetery.[1]
Los Angeles National Cemetery - photo taken by L. Gorrell ©

Her mother, Anna M. Gleeson Sullivan is buried at Mt. Carmel Cemetery in Anaconda, Deer Lodge Co, Montana.[2]
Mt. Carmel Cemetery, photo taken by L. Gorrell ©

Her mother, Margaret Tierney Gleeson is buried at Mt. Calvary Catholic Cemetery in Portland, Multnomah Co, Oregon.[3]
Mt. Calvary Cemetery, photo taken by L. McCorkle ©

Her parents, John Tierney & Ann Murray, were buried at St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Cemetery in Fallowfield (now Ottawa), Carleton Co, Ontario, Canada.[4]
St. Patrick's Cemetery, photo taken by S. Swindell ©


[1] Los Angeles National Cemetery, Los Angeles, California, photo taken by L. Gorrell, 1996.
[2] Mt. Carmel Cemetery, Anaconda, Montana, photo taken by L. Gorrell, Summer 1999.
[3] Mt. Calvary Catholic Cemetery, Portland, Oregon, photo taken by L. McCorkle, Summer 2004.
[4] St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Cemetery, Ottawa, Canada, photo taken by S. Swindell, Summer 2007.

Copyright © 2017 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Wow, four different states (provinces)! A family on the move . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Sullivans in my data base that migrated to California. I wonder if there is a connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Sullivans came from either western Montana (Anaconda & Butte) or Michigan (Calamut) or Minnesota (Todd Co). Been working on them this week. Can't believe how many Sullivans were in Anaconda and Butte! Hard to keep them straight. The Butte city directories have pages of Sullivans.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.