Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Weeks of Nov 25-Dec 1, 2019

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Blog Writing:
52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 48—Thief. I could not think of  post to write using this theme, so didn’t write one. This is the only one I have missed in two years.

Webinars/Study Groups Attended:   
I attended no webinars or study groups this week, due to the Thanksgiving holiday.

Client Work:
No Work this week.

Volunteer Work:
I did work at the History Center this week, still opening up the center and working on special collections that need to be processed or put away. I managed to file away some items into the subject/town files in the library.

Own Work:
I worked on the Gleeson family this past week, mostly working on land records from Carleton County, Ontario, Canada. My 3x-great grandfather, Martin Gleeson, and his sons, Michael and John, all purchased land in Goulbourne and Marlborough townships. Martin purchased a piece of land in 1835 and kept it until he sold it to John in 1859. John then mortgaged and paid off the mortgage several times before he sold it completely in 1874. I need to figure out what was going on, that he needed to do that. He did have a large family, and perhaps he had to pay for seed, but maybe there was some economic problem that researching might discover. I also have to figure out where he went in 1874 after selling the farm. They don’t appear in the U.S. until 1879. They might have rented, but he doesn’t appear in directories of the area. I also learned a little more about Michael and need to transcribe his deeds. He left for Iowa around 1860 (after US census and before Canadian census, as he is in neither).

Other:
Thanksgiving was celebrated at our daughter, Elizabeth’s house, where we cooked a very small turkey, mashed potatoes, roasted root vegetables and squash, steamed kale, and pumpkin pie. We had a nice walk where I spotted a varied thrush and a Townsend’s warbler.

The rest of the weekend was running trains at the Walnut Creek Model Railroad Society’s Fall show. We were open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The crowds were not super great but those who came enjoyed the show.

Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments