Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of February 10-16, 2020

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Blog Writing:
Webinars/Study Groups Attended: 
The only online study group I attended this week was the Friday afternoon one. Everyone spoke of their progress on their portfolios and we got to see Annette after her absence of several weeks. I lamented that I hadn’t worked on the Hork family project and they urged me to start right then.

I attended the Monday Morning group at Susan’s for a couple of hours and heard about their trip to Salt Lake City and how things have changed since the new microfilm machines went in and the cafeteria at the office building was closed to library patrons.

Thursday, I attended the workshop at the Concord FHC for the Contra Costa County Genealogical Society and I helped a member try to find the German home town of her ancestor. We didn’t have luck but did find his naturalization records.

I attended these webinars this week:
  • “Building Identity From Scant Clues,” by Jill Morelli. Great methodology. 
  • “Adding Your Own Stories to Your Family History,” by Sunny Morton. This was helpful for I’m working on a family history of my parents and brothers and sisters and she gave me some good ideas for themes.
  • “Best Practices for Success in Facebook Groups” by Cyndi Ingle. I picked up a few tips on using these groups.

Client Work:
No work this week.

Volunteer Work:
I worked at the History Center, updating the query spreadsheet for Jennifer and updating the Newspaper Finding Aid with our new microfilm donations. I worked the desk at the California Genealogical Society on Friday and actually had three researchers visit.

Own Work:
I presented the second class in the winter quarter at the Acalanes Adult School on Thursday. This week we discussed census records and we did not get through all of the census years, but they seemed to enjoy what we did. If we have time next week after discussing organization, I can finish up the census talk. I will have to figure out a way to reduce the examples so I can get through all the years from 1940 back to 1840. We only got to 1890.

I have started writing some in the Hork Family Story. I need to come up with a better title. I’m sure my sisters can help me. I hope to get more input from the rest of the family, but first I need to get some ideas written that they can bounce off of. I want this to be more of a picture book with some text.

I played some with My Heritage’s new automatic colorization tool. Some images came out so-so, and others pretty good. The top one is okay but probably lacking color because of the cloudy conditions at Santa Cruz. The one below popped much better. I still prefer sharp and crisp black and white images.




Other:
We had a 2021 Convention meeting in Foster City on Tuesday, and I attended the memorial for fellow model railroader, Pete McCorkell on Saturday.

Monday, we went to Petaluma, Santa Rosa, and Windsor for the day. Norman’s brother and wife, Brian and Linda, came, too, and we met Elizabeth. Lunch at Wishbone in Petaluma, a visit to the Luther Burbank House and Garden in Santa Rosa, and finally to the Russian River Brewery in Windsor for a taste of Pliny the Younger, where we waited in line for three hours. What a fun day!








Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments