Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of January 27-February 2, 2020

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Blog Writing:
  • Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – A Day in the Life. We were to choose the front page of a newspaper from the date of our grandmother’s birthday. I chose my husband’s mother’s birthday, 29 January 1926 and used a Modesto newspaper. There were articles about bandits and a bad cop breaking prohibition.

Webinars/Study Groups Attended:   
I attended both the Thursday night study group and the Friday study group. We checked in and had good discussions about our past week.

I attended two webinars this week:
  • “More Than Just Names: Advanced U.S. Census Research,” by Judy G. Russell. I have used census for over 25 years but I still learned a trick or two. Excellent webinar.
  • “Finding the Answers in Military Service in Context,” by Jennifer Holik. She covered lots of great sites to research WWI, WWII and other modern wars.

Client Work:
No work this week.

Volunteer Work:
I went to the History Center twice this week. On Tuesday I helped Beverly with the new exhibit on women getting the vote in 1920. Then on Saturday, I attended the opening of the exhibit on Saturday and helped with selling books and speaking with guests.

Own Work:
I have spent most of the week working on the lesson plans for the adult school course which begins this coming week. I have three of the four classes completed. I’m looking forward to meeting my new class on Thursday.

Other:
I started a new fitness class at Diablo Valley College for over 50 year olds. We meet three times a week on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays. We stretch, work on bikes, and do weight machines. It’s pretty interesting and I’m only a little sore. Tuesday and Thursdays I go to yoga at the Senior Center. It all is very early in the morning.

Worked Monday with other Trail Team members at the Moorhen Marsh at the Mt. View Sanitation District planting native plants along the ponds. Afterwards we watched the release of a white pelican that had been injured.


Wednesday was a Mt. Diablo Audubon Society had a birding trip in Martinez, first at McNabney Marsh, then to the Martinez Shoreline Park.






Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments