Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Top 20 Surnames In Your Family Tree

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

 It's Saturday Night again -

time for some more Genealogy Fun!!


Our assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing this week is:
1) Go into your Genealogy Management Program (GMP; either software on your computer, or an online family tree) and figure out how to Count how many surnames you have in your family tree database.
2)  Tell us which GMP you're using and how you did this task.
3)  Tell us what the top 20  surnames are in your database and, if possible, how many entries.  How many different surnames are in your family tree?
4)  Write about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, in a status or comment on a Facebook post.
I use RootsMagic and Randy was so kind to explain in his blog post how to do this in RootsMagic. It is a report called "Surname Statistics."

We had done this previously on 21 October 2017. So I will do some comparisons to update the post.*


The previous time we were to record 10 or 20 surnames and I had done 12.  So this time I recorded 21 because SIEVERT and DAVEY were tied.

I am showing some combinations this time because of spelling variations. I might have had more Swedish names if they didn’t change in each generation. Many of the tops names are from my mother’s southern families who had large families. My Irish families also had large families but I am not able to go back more than a few generations due to record loss.

The numbers had not changed much. I have not added many new people in my program, but rather have been researching to add to the information I have for each person. I’m trying to make a fatter family tree, not a larger one.

As for the number of different surnames, in 2017 there were about 1522 different names (from 28+ pages of names, with 53 names per page, the math would be  28 X 53 + 38 (no. on p. 29) = 1522).  In 2020, I have 32 pages. The math would be 31 X 53 + 16 (on page 32) = 1659 different names. Some of these new names are due to nieces, nephews, and cousins marrying and having children.

* I had to create an image of my data because Blogger messed up the formatting of my table.

Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. My results are similar to yours. My post won't go live until tomorrow morning, but my numbers only changed by 1 or 2 - some not at all - mostly because those haven't been focus families in my research during the past couple of years. It's always fun to look back, though, and see some progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My focus has been different, too. I'm working on preparing to write about my families. I'm not interested anymore and figuring out how far back I can get.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.