Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Your "7 Generations in 1" Chart

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

 


Our assignment today is from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing:

1. DNAsleuth (Ann Raymont) created a 7-in-1 chart showing 7 generations of ancestors on one page several weeks ago - see her blog post at https://dnasleuth.wordpress.com/2020/09/01/7-gen-1-sheet/.  In her post, there is a link to her Word document if you wish to use it.

2.  Linda Stufflebean's husband, Dave, took the concept a step further, and created an Excel template of the 7-in-1 chart.  You can download Dave's file from my Google Drive at   https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s7rTacxacWVCWxUEWq5pAArJCv8mCZWT/view?usp=sharing.  Linda's chart is in https://emptybranchesonthefamilytree.com/2020/09/using-excel-to-display-7-family-generations-on-1-sheet/ (I opened it to "Editor" so you can download it and work with it).

Here is an image of the blank 7-in-1 chart:


As you can see, the left column is the Generation number, and the other columns are for ancestors of Gen. 1 listed in columns for each grandparent.  So the chart covers Ancestors #1 through 127 in an ahnentafel list or a large pedigree chart.

3.  The challenge tonight is to fill out your 7-in-1 chart and show it to us.  I used the spreadsheet, added the ancestor numbers while adding the names (starting with 1 = me, 2- father, 3= mother, etc.).   I added the names and birth-death years (if known) for the first 7 generations.  Then I colored the boxes by birth place by countries, and saved my chart as an XLS file.  I then saved my chart as a JPG by using the Windows Snipping Tool to create the image. This task took me an hour to complete, so plan ahead!

Here is my post:

I did two of them, one for my family and one for my husband’s family. I didn’t use the same colors in both charts for the same countries.


And here is my husband's family:


That was a lot of work. I probably should have put in the Ahnentafel numbers in, too.


Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Norman's Swedish side looks like my mother's Russian Empire side. But I have to question a lot of the ones you have coded as "Germany." Several of those are early enough that there was no "Germany", just a bunch of individual German states. I think you need more granularity and more colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. I should have listed Westfalia, Wurttemberg, and Pfalz. Some of the really early ones I have no idea where, perhaps they were Palatines.

      Delete
  2. The names are a giveaway on your Scandinavian branches. You should have included a color legend - it's always fun to see where everyone's ancestors came from.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.