Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Nov 9-15, 2020

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

I have completed thirty-five (35) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. I worked at the History Center and I did phenology with Shirley at the meadow as usual. Other than that, I didn’t leave the house except for a longer walk on Saturday with Norman.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:
My 52 Ancestor post about my grandfather growing a beard for a contest was highlighted in the weekly email from Amy Johnson Crow. That makes it two weeks in a row! I wrote an extra blog post this week about restrictive covenants in deeds. I was encouraged to do this from members of the discussion group on the book The Color of Law.

Blogs posted this past week:

  • Something I Didn’t Know About Restrictive Covenants in Deeds. I wrote about the restrictive covenant I found in my grandparent’s deed for their house in Gregory Gardens in Pleasant Hill, California. They could only sell their property to people only of Caucasian race. A law passed in 1949, the same year they purchased the property, prohibited the enforcement of covenant.

Online Study Groups Attended:   

  • I attended Monday Morning and seventeen people were in attendance and a new member joined us.
  • Jacqueline and I had our weekly discussion Monday afternoon, and we were the ones of the Amigos to meet.
  • I attended the second of the GenProof sessions with Tom Jones. We discussed citations from Chapter 4.
  • At the Friday Certification Peer group after checking in, we discussed the newest KDP example. We all liked it.
  • I attended a book discussion group on Sunday where we discussed the book The Color of Law.   

 Webinars Attended:

  • “Stories of the Sacramento Delta” by Grant Din for CCCGS.
Then I watched several Tech Zone webinars from Legacy Family Tree Webinars which are less than 10 minutes each:
  • “Have PDF, Will Upload: Print Your Book on Lulu.com,” by Diane Boumenot
  • “Customize Your Browsing with Chrome Extensions,” by Cheri Hudson Passey
  • “An Easy Trick to Split PDF Pages,” by Thomas MacEntee
  • “7 Easy Ideas for Better PowerPoint Design,” by Diane Boumenot
  • “Five Windows 10 Productivity Tips,” by Marian Pierre-Louis

Client Work/Presentations:
I agreed to do a presentation on newspapers next week for the San Joaquin Genealogical Society. I have another to do on Saturday on German research.

I also heard from my client I had done work for this past summer and have some additions and corrections to do. An email came in from one of my students from the intro class who wants some Swedish research. Will send a quote.

Volunteer Work:
I visited the History Center on Tuesday. I worked on putting more archival materials away. I attended the board meeting of the California Genealogical Society, to find out more about the library opening plans. Because of the increase in cases, it’s likely it’ll be months before they can open again.

Own Work:
This week I have worked on filling in details on Adolf Korn, who was the second husband of Mary “Marie” Davey, the daughter of Thomas N. Davey, of Carthage, Missouri. I had received an email from someone who had lived in Dr. Korn’s home and wondered about a secret room. I had collected documents previously for Dr. Korn but not entered them into RootsMagic. I took care of that and also found more ship lists.

Other:
I attended all only one of my own Adult School classes: intermediate German conversation. I also had German with Nancy on Monday and Ukulele lesson on Thursday.

I received a new book this week that I ordered: A Gentlewoman in Upper Canada: The Journals of Anne Langton.  It's another book about Ontario area where my ancestors are from.

Our daughter, Elizabeth, visited on Sunday to take a piece of furniture from the office and to help her dad make applesauce. We had a nice visit!

Photos of the week: some nice fall color in our neighborhood after a brief over-night rain.




Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Whew....I'm tired reading this. You accomplished so much in a week. Everytime I read one of your blogs like this I tell myself I showed do this, write down what I do weekly. Maybe I'll think more on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone talks about keeping a Covid Journal. I guess this will count as that!

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.