Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – In Childhood, What Did You Save or Collect?


Calling all Genea-Musing Fans:

It’s Saturday Night again

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing has given us our assignment this week. We are do the following:

1) In your childhood (and into the teenage years), what did you save or collect as a hobby or interest? Do you still have them?

2) Tell us all about it in a blog post of your own, in comments on this blog post, or in a post on Facebook. Be sure to link to them in a comment on this blog post.

Here’s mine:

We actually did a post similar to this in 2016 and my post is here where I wrote about collecting stamps, troll dolls, and postcards.

I have also collected other things. I’d say my biggest collection during my teenage years was collecting books. My friend, Beth, and I would go to used book stores once a week to purchase all kinds of books: Star Trek, Harlequin romances, young adult, westerns, and my favorite: Man from U.N.C.L.E. books. I still have some of these books. Most are in storage, but I pulled out a few the last time we were there so I could re-read them.


My parents built a bookcase for me where I could put my collection, as you can see below, with my friend, Beth. I love books and treasure having them around me. Sometimes, I envy people’s clean, uncluttered rooms I see from Zoom meetings, but then I see a nice bookcase set up, and I know I could never live in such a clutter-free home.

Books were my friends growing up—a place to explore other places, time periods, and cultures. I could never be without books—real books. Electronic versions can have their place – perhaps while on vacation, but even then, I take books and once they are read, I leave them at the hotel lobby for someone else to enjoy.

Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I think everyone in genealogy has a love for books. I also prefer ones I can hold in my hand. Ebooks are only for cruises, used back in the olden days when it was safe to get on a ship. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried reading a Kindle version of a book for a book club and I hated it. Ended up checking out from the library.

      Delete
  2. Books are wonderful! I read lots of mysteries and thrillers when I was young, but I don't remember ever seeing The Man from U.N.C.L.E. books. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't take the time to read as much as I used to. I do too much genealogy!

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.