Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Your Oldest Ancestral Item

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!



Here is our assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, I chose to play along (cue the Mission Impossible music, please!):

1)  Lorine Mcginnis Schulze on her Olive Tree Genealogy blog asked this question several weeks ago in http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2020/10/what-is-your-oldest-ancestral-item.html.

2)  So have at it - what is the oldest ancestral item in your collection of artifacts and stuff?  

3)  Tell us all about it in a blog post of your own, in comments on this blog post, or in a post on Facebook.  Be sure to link to them in a comment on this blog post.

Thank you to Lorine for the idea and to Linda S. for suggesting it.

Here's mine:

I have written about heirlooms several times before, the last time here. In that post are links to four more posts.

Heirlooms we have (not inclusive):

Jewelry & other small items:
Pearl necklace from my maternal grandmother, Pansy Lancaster Johnston
Gold wedding band from my paternal grandmother, Anna Sullivan Hork
Pearl opera glasses that belonged to my paternal great-aunt, Elizabeth Gleeson
Shaving straight razor that belonged to my husband’s great-grandfather, Amos Gorrell
Kundo Clock from my grandparents, Tom & Pansy Johnston

Kitchen items:
Cookbooks from my mother, Lela Johnston Hork and mother-in-law, Thelma Nilsen Gorrell
Cast iron frying pans (3) from my grandmother, Anna Sullivan Hork
Cutting board made by my husband, Norman Gorrell in shop class

Knickknacks
Wooden carved boar & a man & woman figurines from Mrs. Hardin (friend of father-in-law, George Gorrell
Miscellaneous wooden and ceramic figurines & animals from my grandmother, Pansy Lancaster Johnston

A little ceramic dog from my grandmother

Furniture
Wooden kitchen chair from 
Norman’s grandfather, Joseph Norman Gorrell
Step stool also from Norman’s grandfather, Joseph Norman Gorrell.

Miscellaneous
Photo album of the Gleesons, created by Muriel Gilbert, who was the granddaughter of my great-great grandparents of John Gleeson & Margaret Tierney.

The oldest item is either the razor or the photo album with photos taken in the mid-to-late 1800s. I treasure all of these items and hope to photograph each and make an heirloom book for my daughters to know the history of each item.

I really do need to work on that heirloom book.

Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I love the idea of an heirloom book. My son knows there are things all around the house that are inherited, but he has no idea who they came from. Hmmmm. Maybe a good project for the 2021 genealogy goal list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can put together the book on Shutterfly and wait for a sale before printing it!

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of an heirloom book also. What a great gift to family members that would be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus hopefully prevent family from selling your stuff!

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.